Who doesn’t love any kind of sweet bars? The kids and adults in our house do. They like pretty much everything sweet.
I try to make things during my lunch break so that we can have fun desserts after dinner or later that night. OR because I get to taste it before anyone else does!! And these didn’t let me down a bit. The cake batter actually tastes more like a cookie crust to me. And the topping…wow factor for sure.
I’m supposed to be on a low fat/low sugar diet. This baking stuff has been very fun. I’ve learned to bake a lot things I wouldn’t touch before. But now that I’m making them, I do try them. And some I can just try and walk away, and others, not so much. These fall under the not so much category!!!
- 1 box Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 lb bag (about 3-3/4 cups) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a stand mixer, combine together the cream cheese, 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the cake mix layer.
- Bake bars for 45 minutes, or until edges are golden brown,and the center has set to a soft consistency.
- Cool COMPLETELY before slicing into bars and serving.
My only complaint is that I think I should have used a bigger dish to make it in. The top got browned pretty fast and it felt like it hadn’t set completely yet.
But again, fantastic. Try. Make. Eat. Enjoy. Share if you must!!!
Have a happy day!
Patricia – Two Girls Cooking