Craig has been asking for home made chocolate chip cookies for about a week. Well that week has gone by and I am not finding time to get enough things around the house done, let alone bake home made cookies. Yes, we have to eat dinner every night so if I’ve made something new, I’ll blog it. But cookies from scratch with work, three kids, baseball every night, it’s just not happening. But I did go to the store and buy the Pillsbury Reece’s Peanut Butter pre-made cookies!!! And I’ve had this recipe sitting up on my computer browser for about a week or more so I thought, huh, I’ll use those cookies to make the bars I’ve wanted. I could have said that I made them, but that would be lying. And since lying is my biggest pet peeve, I decided that it wouldn’t be a good idea.
While cooking the Lasagna Rolls for dinner tonight, I started with these bars. I had an hour and a half before we had to leave for baseball. I was cutting it short. But right before we had to walk out the door, I got to pull them out of the oven. Mr. Craig said that he wouldn’t cut the bars before I got home (he knew they were going to be blogged). Well as soon as I walked in the door, he tells me that he tried to cut a piece and it started to fall apart!! So I’m not the only impatient one when it comes to having to wait for the sweet treats.
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 fat free)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut, if desired
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated chocolate chip cookies (I grabbed the Reece’s Peanut Butter cup)
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in coconut.
- 2 In ungreased, 9- or 8-inch square pan, break up half of cookie dough. With floured fingers, press dough evenly in bottom of pan to form crust. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough. Crumble and sprinkle remaining half of dough over cream cheese mixture.
- 3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until chilled. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store in refrigerator.
Super easy to make. If you have the time and a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies, then by all means, make them from scratch. Until I can find a way to work changes in life around, I’ll be making some partial home made desserts (it’s ok to use some store bought things to make life easier!!).
Have a great rest of your week. I hope yours isn’t as busy as ours is here!! (Next month comes soccer and football).
Patricia – Two Girls Cooking