I had been wanting to get an ice cream maker for a while now and finally went and got one today. Jodi has made some pretty good ice cream and I love frozen yogurt, so I went for it. I have a KitchenAid blender, but I’m very impatient and couldn’t find the ice cream bowl for it so I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got the Cuisinart 2 quart maker instead. I know, know. Patience is a virtue I’m truly trying to work on!!
I wanted to find a Dairy Queen recipe to try for my first run. My co-worker, Heidi, found a new website for me that had just what I was looking for.
The mixture has to cool for 5-8 hours (here comes that impatient thing again) so I have the bowl sitting in the freezer and will put the mixture in the fridge for over night cooling and make on my lunch break tomorrow!! Super excited. I even found some of the nuts to go on top that they have at Dairy Queen!
- 2 envelopes Knox gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used ½ vanilla bean and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cream
- Soak gelatin in cold water
- Heat milk, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add gelatin, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Cool and add cream.
- Chill 5 to 8 hours.
- Pour into a 4 to 6 quart ice cream freezer can.
- Process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Scoop into a container, cover well, and freeze several hours or overnight. Like most ice creams the flavor improves with aging.
If you haven’t made ice cream, you have to. And if you haven’t made Dairy Queen Ice Cream then you really have to. Every time I go through the drive through at Dairy Queen, my little dog, Coco, goes crazy. He knows he’s going to get a pup cup. He hangs out the window just shaking with anticipation… My dogs love it too.
This was fantabulous! I was soooo excited to taste this. I had it for breakfast! The taste is so similar to the real deal!!
Whatever your flavor, you have to try it home made. After this, there is no other way. No other way. I can’t wait for the kids to come home and ask for a snack!!
Two Girls Cooking – Patricia
Wives with Knives